Friday, August 6, 2010

The ABC in the digital domain

Mark Scott (2010, p2) wrote about the directions the Australian Broadcasting Corporation is taking in its promotion of the arts in the changing digital domain. He questioned what needed to be retained and what should be discarded. Scott (2010, p2) said that audiences were dividing into two distinct groups; those people who want to enjoy the programs as it is transmitted to them and the growing audience who want to participate in the program as it goes to air.




I feel we should treat new technology as carefully as we treat a new born child. By hastily changing to embrace the new digital programming advantages, we might destroy some of the unique elements of some programs and lose the enjoyment and entertainment that these special programs give to their audience. Careful programming may allow these items to be transmitted in forms that  keep both audiences satisfied. One division of the audience could be enjoying the artist as a unique presentation or rendition, quite oblivious to the comments and criticism being levelled at the performer by the participating division of the audience.





Scott M 2010 Retaining relevance in the digital era abc.net.au accessed 6 August 2010, http.://www.abc.net.au/corp/pubs/documents/2929457.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Gordon, as a parent, I never wrapped my children in cotton wool. They ate dirt, they fell off tales - they had the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them. :)

    If I read you correctly, you're suggesting that some programs could - should - be streamed on two channels?
    QandA is an ABC show that includes a twitter feed shown at the bottom of the screen. You'd like to see it also available to those who want to ignore the twitter feed? I hadn't really thought about the benefits of taking a step backwards, but the notion intrigues me.

    I wonder if a HDTV broadcast could theoretically allow the user to press a button on their remote to remove extra content? I'm sure I'd use it occasionally if it did. At the same time, though, I'd worry that I was missing out on an aspect of the experience.

    You pose an interesting question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the layout, I 've just quickly skimmed your post, as I'm quickly checking LMS and saw you'd set up your blog.

    Will comment properly on it later :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interactive media is all the go with the younger generations. Especially 'Y' Gen'. They play on-line video games with people from all over the planet. They don't seem happy unless their thumbs are sending SMS's at a rate of knots. I swear that they will have RSI before they hit 30. They also have to be on their social networks like Facebook and go through withdrawl if they are away from it for more than a minute. I personally like to enjoy life away from technology - Joseph Sleigh

    ReplyDelete